Nick Mitchell was recommended to me by Men's Health magazine as the best personal trainer in the UK to get me cover model ready, and after only 5 minutes with him I understood why. He is a fantastic person to help get anyone into the best shape of their lives and his knowledge of the human body blows me away!
I rely on UP ahead of big photo shoots to always help me be in the kind of physical shape that the clients demand. In my industry we must always be as close to perfection as possible and no one understands the way to fine tune a woman’s body like them!
Zoe Duchesne, Victoria’s Secrets model
Nick Mitchell is the best personal trainer that Europe has to offer. His depth of experience keeps him at the forefront of the industry and I have no hesitation in referring anyone visiting the UK to be trained under his watchful experienced eye.
Charles Poliquin, Strength Coach of Olympic medalists and athletes from the NHL and NFL
The fact that my forty-year old frame graced the cover of Men’s Health is down to Nick Mitchell's encyclopaedic knowledge and no-nonsense training techniques. He’s the go-to guy if you want results.
Wesley Doyle, Fitness Editor - Men's Health UK
Training with Nick was great fun and very rewarding. His enthusiasm and passion inspire me and I cannot recommend him highly enough.
Misha Farska, Leading Fashion Model
On my trips to London I have found Sav and the Ultimate Performance team to be the only guys in Europe who can give me what I need – a great place to train, fantastic cutting edge advice, and an insight into competitive sports that only comes from years of coaching experience at the highest level.
Ronnie Coleman, 8 Time Mr Olympia
World Class personal training guaranteed to get unparalleled results
Ben Price, Leading Man (Coronation Street, Footballers Wives)
In my assault to reach the British Heavyweight boxing title and beyond there is only man I could turn to give me the extra strength, speed and conditioning necessary to step up to the big league. Nick’s coaching is scientific, extremely challenging, and the results speak for themselves!
Larry “The War Machine” Olubamiwo, Top British Heavyweight Boxer
"I was recommended I look up Nick Mitchell before arriving in the UK from Australia. His knowledge is second to none and is proving extremely useful in getting through another demanding Super League season."
Craig Fitzgibbon, Australian National Rugby League Team
It is thanks to Nick Mitchell’s expertise, understanding and patience, that I am healthier, fitter and leaner than I was 10 years ago. He taught me that it’s not enough to love the body we’re in but to respect it too.
Sassy Wilde, Producer & TV Presenter
I have worked with Kosta for many years and the best compliment I can pay to him is that at the end of our professional partnership we became friends. He is constantly challenging me with through new ideas, care and excellent interpersonal skills.
Christian Lattanzio, England National Football Team / Manchester City Football Club Technical Coordinator
Nick Mitchell is a pleasure to work with. Not only is he full of knowledge but he puts it over in a way that is understandable and practical for everyday people. He obviously has a real passion for everything muscle and fitness and his training methods and the gym atmosphere portrays this.
Men’s Fitness UK
Thanks to Ultimate Performance my filming of the BBC TV show "Hustle" went incredibly well and the producers were overjoyed with the outcome
Chook Sibtain, Actor
Anyone who trains at Ultimate Performance can be assured of some proper training, which requires effort to reach their goals and not fobbed off with a watered down session and a gossip as with every other personal training gym I have seen!!!
Dave “Bulldog” Beattie, World Powerlifting Champion, Trainer of Strongest Man in the World.
I am extremely lucky to of had such a wonderful and respected teacher as Kostas Stavrev to help with all my physical requirements. He is a fantastic source of encouragement; is intelligent, detailed and motivating and I continually seek his advice and expertise on all athletic issues.
Perry Suckling, Tottenham Hotspur Goalkeeping Coach
Female fat loss can be a frustrating business. You’ve been attending the gym regularly, maybe even working with a personal trainer (Editor’s note – warning, not all personal trainers are created equally!) sticking to a strict fat loss meal plan and avoiding those nights out with the girls. Your tummy feels tighter, clothes feel looser but there is one problem, you’re not losing lower body fat.
If this sounds all too familiar then don’t fear as there is an explanation for the vagaries of female fat loss and several ways to tackle this problem often referred to as estrogen dominance.
How is Estrogen related to lower body fat?
The legs, mainly the thighs, have a large number of estrogen receptors which bind with high affinity to estrogens. When too many poor food and lifestyle choices occur over a period of time there is an increase in the fat storing form of Estrogen known as Estradiol. This hormonal imbalance can create a large amount of fat storage around the thighs, hips and bum. The best way to really determine whether you have this issue and to then ascertain the ideal ways to shift your hormonal profile away from an estrogen dominance would be to visit an experienced and high level BioSignature Modulation practitioner.
Below are five top tips to help budge estrogen induced stubborn lower body fat:
1. Refined carbohydrates/sugar – although this should be the first steps in any fat loss diet plan, it is especially important when it comes to losing lower body fat, as sugars increase the aromatase enzyme which role is to convert testosterone (yes ladies you do have some) into estradiol (the fat storing estrogen) thereby increasing lower body fat. As well as allowing you to balance your blood sugar levels and control cravings, refined carbohydrates must be the first thing you eliminate if fat loss is your priority.
2. Digestive support – before I continue with the nutritional support required, it’s imperative that optimal digestion is present in order to ensure nutrients in the diet are allowed to be absorbed properly and perform their various functions. 95% of people we test show very low levels of Hydrochloric acid (HCL) which in short, means the greatest organic foods and fancy supplements are going to be almost pointless, as the main role of HCL is to breakdown and prepare foods to be assimilated in to the body.
3. Methylation – This is a process which affects nearly every metabolic process in the body from DNA expression, protein regulation, liver detoxification, estrogen metabolism and so on. In order for the methylation cycle to function optimally various nutrients such as B6, B12, Trimethlyglycine, Folic acid, Magnesium and Zinc are just a few of the nutrients needed. Now for the twist…it’s estimated that nearly 40% of the population have a genetic fault in one of the pathways of the methylation cycle called Methyltetrahydrofolate (MTHFR). This is a very complex process to explain and beyond the scope of this article, but extremely important to be aware of in order for optimal estrogen metabolism to occur. So how do I know if I have it? This is the easy part…include some Asparagus in your next meal and the next time you go to pee… your know it! I’m sure many of you will already be aware of the smell that takes place after eating asparagus, well now you know why. One of the simplest ways to manage this is by supplementing with some of the nutrients mentioned above. A high quality B complex, zinc, magnesium and a diet high in cruciferous vegetables is the way forward. For those of you that don’t have this gene, these nutrients are still going to be of benefit to support proper methylation. Methylation may sound complicated but if you remember that you need a full spectrum of B vitamins to properly metabolise the estrogen that causes you to store a preponderance of your fat in your lower body then you won’t go too far wrong.
4. Cruciferous Vegetables – without doubt these have the greatest potential to help rid the body of bad estrogens. Examples would be Broccoli, spinach, cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower. Broccoli especially contains compounds known as indoles which have very potent anti (breast) cancer fighting properties as well as improving the liver’s estrogen detoxification abilities. So eat your greens for better and faster female fat loss.
5. Dim – Diidolymethane (Dim) is the active form of indole 3 carbinol found in cruciferous vegetables…Ok so I can hear the supplement sceptics already… well can’t I just eat vegetables then? In the ideal world the answer would be yes, but in today’s society how many of you have the time or inclination to sit through 4-5 feedings of green vegetables a day. Also our foods our so nutritionally depleted from poor soil and chemicals, not to mention the fact that they’ve sat around for at least 5 days from the time they were pulled out the ground to the time you purchased them, it would be wise to supplement to ensure adequate levels of this potent nutrient are consumed. Dim also helps to prevent aromatase (conversion of testosterone to fat storing estrogens) and helps to improve E2 (anti cancer) to E16 (cancer promoting) ratios.
So those are some things that will hopefully help you to break through those estrogen specific lower body fat loss plateaus that have been bothering you for so long. Below are a few other things for you to consider if you’re determined to lose fat from typical female problem areas:
Avoid Spin classes (increase intra cellular fat stores in the thighs)
Omega 3 Fish oils (increase E2 decrease E16)
Avoid tap water (Britain’s water supply contains large amounts of estrogen, and no that Brita filter just won’t cut it I’m afraid)
Birth control pills (increase estrogen levels)
Go organic (most nonorganic meats contain hormones you don’t want in your diet)
Drink green tea!